[sugar] 65-node simple mesh test (and counting... ;-)

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:01:03 EDT 2008

Hi Greg

A couple of points in clarification...

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Greg Smith (gregmsmi)
<gregmsmi at cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi Polychronis,
>
>  Thanks for sharing the results. Did you use a wireless AP or active
>  antenna? If you can include a few details on that it will help. Can you
>  also include the XO build # and XS build and config if relevant?

Cerebro isn't in the builds yet. It looks like the plan is to
integrate Cerebro into a Telepathy connection manager, for link local
connectivity.

>  Would you say that this test passed? That is, can we recommend that
>  schools use the chat activity with one chat session which all join?

The Chat activity used currently with Cerebro isn't the regular Chat
activity - it is one that has been customised to work with Cerebro
outside of the existing Presence Service collaboration framework.

>  I ask because there is recent feedback on mesh issues from a teacher at
>  Lambayeque, Peru http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Lambayeque#Inconvenientes and
>  a teacher in Uruguay has asked about supported Mesh features too. The
>  Lambayeque page says: they wish they knew in advance that Acoustic
>  Measure Activity would not work with 6 groups of two students each.
>  That's mostly an issue with activity design and our communication about
>  what activities support but it does raise a good test case (6 groups of
>  2 sharing a single activity).
>
>  I think both (Peru and Uruguay) teachers can help define meaningful mesh
>  use cases which will be applicable in many schools. I want to set the
>  right expectation on our capacity before I ask them to spend a lot of
>  time working with us.
>
>  I can start by telling them that chat as you describe above will work
>  well, if you agree. Then we can follow up to gather more details on how
>  they want to use the mesh.

Please don't tell them to use the existing Chat on the existing
collaboration framework in that way - I think we can only handle less
than 10 XOs on simple mesh (no jabber server) with some reasonable
reliability.

>  The good news is they are motivated to use the mesh which helps validate
>  one design goal of the XO. Now we just need to understand how they want
>  to use it :-)
>
>  It looks like you are focused on finding the maximum scale of Xos which
>  can be in a mesh. That's clearly important info too. I'm just checking
>  if you have capacity to look at a few other test scenarios as well.

Regards
Morgan