[sugar] the ring

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed May 7 18:47:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>  > > It was terrible to lose the pie chart for resource usage.
>  >  > That was very useful for both developers and kids.
>  >
>  >  Was indication (by the ring) of resource usage actually released to
>  >  users?  My G1G1 showed only fixed-width pie slices.
>
>  It never shipped because the information was never accurate enough to
>  be meaningful.  In fact, it was most times confusing.  It is
>  unfortunate that we lost this (potential) means of conveying more
>  info, but I think the new designs gain us a lot over the previous
>  version in terms of usability.

I recall that in one of the early sketches for the new design, the
position of the open activity icons on the frame was serving to
indicate the memory usage. What I don't recall is why that idea was
abandoned. But regardless, it suggests that the new design is not
incompatible with the notion of making resource consumption more
explicitly evident.

-walter