[sugar] Sugar API documentation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 6 05:44:54 EDT 2008

On 06.05.2008, at 11:14, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> I often do what I call Defensive Documentation. I write the manual I
> wanted to have in the first place.

Nice term, "Defensive Documentation" :) That describes exactly why I
made the "low-level" Sugar API documentation. It's not so much about
the low level functions but rather about what is actually going on and
required of an activity, independent of what language is being used. I
wish I had had that kind of documentation when I started, because for
me it's about understanding a system, not just using it.

>  Occasionally I can get paid to do this, although usually I get
> decent source docs from engineers.

Well, I'm just an engineer, and it shows in my style ;) Fortunately,
Viewpoints Research pays me to work on the Sugar Etoys port, and they
don't mind me doing occasional "peripheral" work, too. I did get help
on IRC when I asked, although mostly I was just reverse-engineering
the source code ...

- Bert -