[sugar] New multilingual dictionary activity

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 01:20:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

> Next steps:
>
>   * I have a "Speak" button that I'd like to hook up to espeak with the
>     appropriate accent loaded.  Josh, any interest in helping to get
>     that working?  Should I just wait for the speech server?

The speech dispatcher API is what you can use for the speech synthesis. The
python API is accessible here :
http://cvs.freebsoft.org/repository/speechd/src/python/speechd/client.py?view=markup

I am still trying to get the speech dispatcher and its dependencies packaged
for Fedora :\. And that is the only reason why the speech server is still
not present on the XO :(. I really request an expert to look into this and
help speed up the work.

In the long run, we plan to explore other Text to Speech engines other than
eSpeak (because of voice quality issues). So coupling your app with eSpeak
is not so sensible when you can directly use speech-dispatcher for all
testing.

I have a few unapproved speech-dispatcher packages here:
http://www.nsitonline.in/hemant/stuff/speechd-rpm/

You'll need dotconf packages to install speech dispatcher. Perhaps Assim can
help you get a *usable* dotconf pacakge.

I'd gladly hook your activity to speech dispatcher and make it self voicing
_once_ speechd gets accepted in the OLPC build.

Thanks!
Hemant