[sugar] Sugar mtg minutes, 24th July 2008

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 04:07:12 EDT 2008

Le jeudi 24 juillet 2008 à 21:59 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> these are the minutes of today's sugar developer meeting. Please check
> the minutes and complete what I may have missed.
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Meetings#Thursday_July_24_2008_-_17.00_.28UTC.29

Hi guys,

I read the backlog of yesterday meeting and can clarify some points to
you.

As said, most of the work was done in Gadget. That's a lot of work as it
involves changes/work in a lot of different areas : XMPP protocol, the
gadget component itself, Gabble, PS and Sugar.
Things are starting to be in a good shape and I think we'll have
something ready for wider testing pretty soon.
See [1] for an overview of things missing and links to some tickets.

I don't think Gadget will be ready for inclusion in 8.2 but I'm pretty
confident to have it ready for merging at the beginning of the 9.1 cycle
and so be able to properly test and debug it during the whole cycle.

For 8.2, the main changes in collaboration are :
- The upgrade of telepathy-glib, telepathy-gabble and telepathy-salut to
newest releases fixing lot of various bugs (not necessarily collab
related but fixing at least #6658 and #6647).

- Various sugar-presence-service fixes and improvements (see PS's NEWS
file)

About file transfer. There is currently an intern working on the new FT
spec and its implementation in Salut. So we should hopefully have
something working at the end of this summer.
Once the spec merged, we could implement it in telepathy-synapse (the
Cerebro connection manager) too.

Now some replies to direct questions.

<marcopg> 18:35:51> -does gadget and cerebro solve similar problems?
<marcopg> 18:35:53> -I mean
<marcopg> 18:36:04> -if we have cerebro, would gadget still be
necessary?

They intend to solve a similar problem (the scalability) but in 2
different cases.
Gadget is a XMPP component we are developing to replace the shared
roster hack. So it should solve scalability problems in server mode (XO
connected to the jabber server).
On the other hand, telepathy-synapse is a potential replacement of
telepathy-salut that should, hopefully, increase the scalability in
serverless mode (children under a tree).
So, yeah, we need both.

<bemasc> 18:41:56> +cassidy: is there anything you need from the Sugar
team to accelerate Gadget's progress?

It would be good to review #7543 and #7544 in order to have them ready
for merge at the begin of 9.2.
We should also discuss about the right way to implement #7545.
Last Sugar part is the search UI. I'll open a ticket about that.

<eben> 18:42:06> +I've also wanted to support metadata searches ie.
activity:chat

That's already implemented in Gabble and Gadget. The last missing part
is the GUI.

Hope that help. Of course, feel free to ask if you have any other
questions. :)

	G.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Gadget_integration_TODO