[sugar] Textbook (was Re: [OLPC-Games] Physics --

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 24 10:41:52 EDT 2008

Yoshiki,

>   I don't want sound to be a jerk..., but a game like Asteroids is so
> right on the sweet spot of Etoys (take a look at the existing Lunar
> Lander, and think about extending it with better controls and
> rotation).
>
>   And, the biggest advantage of that route I think is all scripts can
> be written by kids and they can experiment different scripts and
> parameters.  That would be more interesting on educational side.

I won't disagree with those points at all.

Like I said, I'm coming to this from the back door.

I started down this path to:

1) Get more familiar with Python, by having something to modify rather
than starting from scratch -- with the added idea that it should be far
enough off the main line that it could be my sandbox.

2) Understand what it takes to get an activity running in Sugar.

3) See what it took to make PyGame based games (there are a lot of them
out there) more suitable for the XO.

4) Better understand the Sugar/XO development community, environment,
and system.

Along the way I discovered that I really didn't like the code I was
playing with and thought that refactoring it, and by doing so create
some classes that would be applicable to other Physics based games,
would be a good exercise.

Bob