[sugar] Remarks on the Work of Sugar

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Jul 23 04:20:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote:
>> After mild provocation, Marco and Tomeu asked me to publish some of my
>> reactions to sugar's architecture, design, and implementation. Here are
>> a few initial comments.
>>
>> 1) Sugar could better hold contributors if it (and its web presence)
>> were designed to be extended and to highlight external contributions.

One hint from Robert about how the project is seen by FOSS people:

Jul 19 15:43:38 <tomeu> Robot101: thanks for remembering the gnome
mobile people that we are still alive
Jul 19 15:43:57 <tomeu> would have been great to be at guadec :/
Jul 19 15:44:47 <Robot101>      yeah they were somehow talking about
OLPC as dead and failed, I had to give them some re-schooling

Would you spend much time on a dead and failed project? Note that the
GNOME Mobile people are not supposed to be the kind of people that
know about OLPC only from NBC News.

About the rest, Michael's post makes me think he believes that we are
very proud of our work. Just for the record, I think my work at OLPC
is crap and I would have refused to deliver so poor quality in any
commercial project (in case any future employer is reading this.)

I have kept going on with this craziness because I expected that at
some point the promises of more resources would be fulfilled. If our
only plan is to blame the Sugar developers for not being able to
attract more developers for free... It may not be worth the effort.

Best regards,

Tomeu