[sugar] Remarks on the Work of Sugar

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Jul 23 02:59:51 EDT 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:14 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Michael's analysis is useful inasmuch we can read it going forward. As
>> Michael, I wasn't here 2 years ago, but I have been on the ground on
>> many projects under tight deadlines. It's not helpful to pontificate
>> on the decisions I may have made in them. Hindsight is always 20/20.
>>
>> So let's focus on the bits of Michael's notes that can be transformed
>> into praxis going forward -- and let's be thankful that none of the
>> under-pressure decisions have really painted us into a corner (of the
>> "rewrite" kind).
>>
>> Revisionism will have to wait till I get that time-travel machine
>> project finished.
>
> Sure. The thing is that I'm unconvinced that we can really say that
> the under-pressure phase is over.
>
> More specifically. Can we declare the end of UI experimentation and
> redesign? Can we start pushing back on features until we are ready to
> implement them properly? Can we devote the next release cycle to bug
> fixing, polishing and performance improvements?
>
> My opinion is that we should do it, but I don't have the feeling that
> we have consensus about it.
>
> Marco

Since we were busy prototyping a mass production user interface we had nearly no
time to do performance work - which is really sad. Same is true for documentation
and welcoming contributors.

I really would love to focus on performance work and friends next release cycle -
that would go a long way and would in my opinion be the best feature ever.

Best,
    Simon