[sugar] SMS messaging

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 09:55:10 EDT 2008

Le mardi 22 juillet 2008 à 09:18 -0400, Ankur Verma a écrit :

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> Thank you for your message.
>
> Though it is an external application, but its intended to be run on
> server (Application has similarities with server implementation like
> it runs Apache)
>

>         A) If that's an external application, then you have to connect
>         to the
>         jabber server as any client/XO. You'll be able to see all the
>         connected
>         XO's that are in your jabber roster. Currently we are using an
>         ugly hack
>         called "shared roster" meaning you'll see all the connected
>         XO's but we
>         plan to drop it soon.
>         A solution could be to use Gadget [1] but we currently don't
>         have API to
>         search for buddies based on their alias (that's probably
>         something
>         useful to have so we could consider to add one).
>         Another solution would be for each buddies to subscribe to
>         your
>         application (as a Friend) if they are interested about
>         receiving SMS
>         messages but that's not very convenient IMHO.
>
> The idea of having the API to search for buddies based on their nicks
> and forwarding message to them seems good.

Be aware that with this solution, you won't find the XO if he's not
currently connected. How do you plan to handle such case?

> One of the solution to forward message can be a XMPP message, though I
> am not sure how to implement this. Can you think of any alternatives?

If you use Telepathy, sending a XMPP message to the contact will be
trivial.

>         B) A server plugin. You'll be able to use the server API (and
>         so be able
>         to know which buddies are connected, etc) but you'll be depend
>         on a
>         server implementation and your app will have to run on the
>         same box as
>         the server.
>
> Server API doesn't let us know about the nicks of  current buddies
> that are connected. As Wad meant to say, Jabber IDs are available
> which are not human readable and they cannot be mapped to nicks at
> present.

I have no idea how plugin's API work but I guess you should be able to
access to most of the server's model, including the alias.

	G.