[sugar] Record-55 issue was B4 hardware failure (Was: Design Question)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Jul 20 16:40:40 EDT 2008

On 20 Jul 2008, at 13:40, Bobby Powers wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Tomeu Vizoso
> <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>> Works quite well here in a MP with last joyride. Just did some light
>> testing, though.
>
> I've also tested it (lightly) on 3 machines running Joyride ~2170.
>
>> Tomeu
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> Not good news. I don't recall that anything should have changed
>>> between B4 and the C series that would have impacted Record. I'll
>>> have
>>> to check it out on more machines...
>>>
>>> -walter

> just did that (boot then launch record) and it worked alright for me
> (on a MP machine).
>
> bobby

Thanks for all the feedback.

OK, after a lot of testing and looking through logs I finally
accidently stumbled on the problem. It seems to be a HW fault on my
B4. Perhaps a dry solder joint, cracked pcb or camera component not
seated correctly. If I squeeze the right side of the screen, just
below the camera lense, Record-55 starts displaying the video image,
sometimes blank, sometimes green/purple, sometimes back to normal.
Managed to successfully recorded a video clip while the image was good.

I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron so I'll open up the unit
and see if I can see the specific cause. Is there a specific place I
should report this HW issue incase it is more than single an unlucky
occurrence?

--Gary