[sugar] [OLPC library] [OLPC-Games] Physics -- Newtonian mechanics.. for kids!

Joshua Minor j at lux.vu
Tue Jul 15 18:33:50 EDT 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> But if you put a circle on
>> the floor (stand still), and make another hit from the side, the
>> momentum is shared by these two circles and both of them move
>> together
>> at the same speed.
>
> That's unphysical, and I would only program that way in a fantasy
> setting. ...

Most real-time physics simulation code was designed for use in a
fantasy setting, specifically video games.  Box2D is no exception.
These simulations have traded lots of accuracy for real-time
interactivity.

That doesn't mean that it is pointless to use as a teaching aide, just
that (in)accuracy of simulation needs to be part of the lesson plan.

To see an example of this yourself go here: http://box2d-js.sourceforge.net/
Then right-click on the simulation twice to get to the Newton's Cradle
example.

-josh