[sugar] Activity versioning schema

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Jul 14 19:29:52 EDT 2008

> I'd like to pose an alternative goal, inspired by your comment: Glucose
> should never attempt to parse version strings.  I believe that we can
> accomplish this without sacrificing any of the user-facing behaviors that
> we truly desire.  The choice of an appropriate versioning scheme may then
> be left to the author.

I disagree. It is desirable for Sugar to be able to compare versions and
guess which one is newer. If, as is the current plan, multiple versions of
an activity can coexist on an XO, it is reasonable to want sugar to present
these in some sane order, and possibly give hints and/or aid if the user
wants to update and/or garbage collect. Otherwise, we might as well just be
using activity hash, which can be calculated without being explicitly
included in activity.info.