[sugar] Activity versioning schema

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Jul 14 19:17:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:18 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:

> If we're going to a 'dotted decimal' scheme, we
> should use '.'.

>  Is 1.1 "newer" or "older" than 1.11?)

 This is exactly the reason I think that 1-1 ... 1-11 is clearer (you're
right, colon is unworkable because it cannot go in NTFS file names). From an
educational standpoint, 1.10 is teaching kids the wrong ideas about the
decimal system.

I do not think that hyphens are impractical. In most cases people will get
it right the first time by following examples. Those who don't will quickly
learn from installation warnings.

I think anything from 1-3 levels should be allowed, and that 3 == 3-0 ==
3-0-0. Leading zeroes should cause warnings - that will mostly keep things
from looking like dates (even in 2010, bugfix 10 should be rare).