[sugar] Activity versioning schema

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:30:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:

> > Otherwise how can we reasonable sort/group the activities in any way
> > that makes sense?
>
> I suggested one (stupidly slow, but very general) approach based on the
> Travelling Salesman problem. To recap:
>
> Regard all activities as nodes in a fully connected graph. Let
> activities state that they are close to some collection of other
> activities according to any system you please. (e.g. specify a metric on
> activities, plug in some heuristics on names and numbers, give a list of
> 'similar' activities, do cosine similarity on keyword vectors, etc.)
>
> When you learn that A thinks it should be close to B, shorten the edge
> between A and B.
>
> "Solve" the TSP for the graph. Approximate solutions are fine.

An interesting idea, for sure, but not ultimately what concerns me.  We
actually know the "grouping"...it will be determined by the signature of the
bundle, with broken signatures splitting the grouping.  I was more concerned
with sorting the available versions in a "meaningful" way.  Perhaps this is
too lofty a goal.

- Eben