[sugar] Control Panel Buttons ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Jul 13 20:29:15 EDT 2008

Whatever else,   when dealing with non-computer-literate persons, I
believe that EACH visual icon __must__ universally convey only a
__single__ meaning.

That is why I find the buttons in the Control Panel inconsistent.

--------

Within the sub-functions, the 'X' button (labeled 'Cancel') appears
to convey the concept:  "Throw away whatever it is that you have
done."  I personally would wish this button to be modal - and have
it be 'grayed out' in the header until the kid makes a change. [I
would expect a kid to understand (for 'X'):  "I'm through.  Let me
out of here, but wipe clean all materials that I worked with".]

Within the sub-functions, slightly more problematic is the 'check'
button (I would label it 'Apply') which appears to convey the
concept:  "I approve.".  I personally would wish this button to be
modal - and have it be 'grayed out' in the header until the kid
makes a change.  [I would expect a kid to understand (for 'check'):
  "I'm done.  Let me out of here, as soon as you have changed the
settings within the system to what I've specified here".]

That leaves the situation where the subfunction was called to look
at the values, not to change them.  I personally would want the
sub-functions to have a (third) 'left-pointing triangle' button
(labeled 'Back') in the header, active to begin with.  This button
would be modal - when any change gets made using the facilities of
the sub-function, the 'Back' button gets 'grayed out', but the 'X'
and 'check' buttons get activated.  [I would expect a kid to
understand (for 'left-pointing triangle'):  "I didn't do anything.
Let me out of here." ]

--------

This is why I am upset to find (in current Joyride) in the main
'Control Panel' pane an 'X' button labeled 'Done'.

The __universal__ symbolism of 'X' ought to be "Forget it".  Why
confuse me (and the kids) by using an 'X' here for "simple exit".
[The kid doesn't want to have the system "throw away" something he
did in s sub-function of the Control Panel.]

What is appropriate to use on the main 'Control Panel' pane (since
nothing got changed ON THAT PANE) is a 'left-pointing triangle'
button labeled 'Back' (i.e., back to the Home View icon).

--------

All uses of an 'X' button should convey the same concept:  "Forget
it".  Turns out the Journal 'details view' pane employs the special
interpretation that its buttons apply to the Journal_entry [instead
of to the pane in which that 'X' is shown].  Thus the 'X' button in
the 'details view' pane header is used to 'Erase' the Journal_entry
itself, whereas all exiting (in the current Joyride implementation)
from the 'details view' pane [whether or not the kid made changes to
the (text) content of that pane] is handled by an "active line"
located below the pane header [that active line is "identified" by a
'left-pointing triangle' icon ('Back') drawn within that line].

In 'Develop', the functions of the 'X' button and the 'check' button
seem to be reversed -- 'check' throws away what was done, and exits.
I would say:  "NO No no -- visual symbolism __must__ be consistent".

mikus