[sugar] [OLPC-Games] Physics -- Newtonian mechanics.. for kids!

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 19:58:32 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
>> So we could simulate a pendulum or a Newton's cradle? How do you
>> handle collisions?
>
>  A pendulum for sure, but my version of three pendulums putting
> together doesn't show the expected behavior.  The elasticity isn't
> right for it, it seems.

What does it do? Can you get it to tell you what values of momentum
and energy are passed through from balls 1-->2-->3?

I once used a 5-ball Newton's cradle to do a rough simulation of
particle-mediated forces.

Have you tried two pendula hanging from a horizontal string? Do you
get the expected transfer of energy back and forth?

> -- Yoshiki

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/