[sugar] Activity dependency upon resident functions

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Jul 9 13:24:51 EDT 2008

I often have builds (in /versions) on my XO from dissimilar streams
(e.g., Joyride vs. Update.1).  Now that installation of Activities
is a separate process, I'm assuming that if an Activity in
/home/olpc/Activities works when one stream has been booted, then it
will work as well when the other stream has been booted.

But are there Activities which have a "version dependency" regarding
the services they receive from resident modules ?  [For instance,
does it matter which level of libraries any Activity binaries were
compiled against ?]  I'm particularly thinking of "two-part"
applications such as Etoys, where both an Activity bundle and an RPM
package are needed.  If I install Etoys-84.xo (the latest bundle) in
/home/olpc/Activities, but then boot 708, will Etoys-84 be able to
work with whatever level of services is provided in build 708 ?

[If not -- does any Activity_version <--> Build_version
compatibility checking get done at activity launch time ?]

mikus