[sugar] Disconnected backups.

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Feb 21 18:35:17 EST 2008

I don't know what you mean by "erasure-coded". I am only talking about
storing something the size of a private key - say, 2K - on three other
laptops. Your own private key would be 2K and you would, on average, have 3
other keys - a grand total of 8K average. Not going to break the back of
even the most limited modern storage.

But considering the complexity of implementing key-part-management (mostly
on the restore side of the equation), I think that brute-forceable password
encryption of the backed-up private key is the better idea. The automated
brute-forcing script should be written for the XO, not for the server
(although of course porting it would be easy). When creating your password,
it should even give you a pregenerated default random password.

If you just broke your XO and forgot (or never wrote down) your password, a
few more hours of cracking once you get your new XO is a minor nuisance. And
yet this simple step would cut down privacy invasions by orders of
magnitude, IMO.