[sugar] What's left for Update.1

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:36:44 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 10:29 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 22:20 +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> > For translations, I would also probably push Mongolian in, along with
> > Spanish. I am currently making those two sets of translations go
> > through all kinds of tests (I wish I could make the rest of them go
> > through these as well, but time is severely limited atm).
> > If this raises concern about the inclusion of the latest translations
> > for other languages, I am currently working on a system for building
> > "language packs" (single archives), which can simply be installed in
> > any Qemu image/XO/sugar-jhbuild setup, so that anyone can try out the
> > latest translations for any of our supported language whenever they
> > wish to.
>
> Interesting, how are you planning to do these language packs?

I have the PO files for each language arranged out pretty nicely,
thanks to the internal symlinking system used for Pootle.
I will be generating two zip for each language - one for Update.1, and
one weekly(?) that tracks HEAD - for the joyride builds. The Zip will
contain pre-compiled MO files - which will be extracted and put into
the correct places in the filesystem (this would either be a seperate
script, or something like the Nvidia binary drivers - which seem  to
combine both and archive and a shell script together).

While this will not be an exact affair (especially for the joyrides,
which are pretty fast moving for some packages, while slow for the
others) the main aim of this is to make it easier for translators to
test their translations in action. I have been getting a number of
queries on how to easily check the translations in action - currently
the method involves downloadin and compiling each PO by  hand, which
is too cumbersome IMO.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--