[sugar] Some programming problems wrt XO and speech synthesis

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 14:49:33 EST 2008

Hi,

These are a few issues I want to tackle with respect to speech-synthesis on
the XO:

   1. Provide a Play button on the top right corner of the sugar shell.
   (How can i integrate the button there?)
   2. When the user clicks it becomes a resume button. (Where do i write
   code for handling these clicks? Any specific files of sugar?)
   3. When the button is clicked the text on the clipboard is sent
   through the speech-dispatcher for speech synthesis. (I 'll simply use the
   gtk clipboard api for this)
   4. If the user hovers on the button for long, a palette appears
   exposing the speech synthesis parameters. It has sliders for changing
   rate,pitch and volume and a drop down box for choosing the voice.
   5. These configuration settings must be stored in some place on the XO
   so that they can be retrieved when the XO reboots, or the palette is shown
   again.
   6. How can I automate the process of connecting to the
   speech-dispatcher when the XO boots, and load all the configuration
   settings?
   7. When the palette disappears the new settings are stored in some
   location so that they can be retrieved when the xo reboots or the palette
   pops up again.

I have opened a ticket for inclusion of speech-dispatcher on the XO and hope
the request will be accepted soon: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6284

I am afraid I dont have much experience with programming to solve the above
problems. Any ideas would be great pointers!

Thanks!
--
Hemant