[sugar] What's left for Update.1

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Feb 2 13:39:59 EST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 10:11 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
>  2 - q2d11 OFW - to fix battery problems

We'll need a q2d12 to fix #6291, or plan for a update.1.1 for
deployments like Mongolia where we need to multicast-update large
groups of machines.

>  4 - UI fix for registration with the school server.
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6136
>  5 - switch to gabble from salut at school.

Both of these might be candidates for an update.1.1, since they
involve code we don't even have in hand yet.

> mesh's implementation of mutlicast.  We've upped the multicast bitrate
> for multicast as a band aid, until we can dynamically adjust the
> bitrate.  But the fundamental issue comes that in large, dense school

No, the multicast bitrate fix is not included in Update.1 candidates;
Michalis indicated that it was not appropriate for general deployment,
since it greatly increases the multicast error rates in non-crowded
meshes.  There's a mesh TTL hack which was discussed and is also not
present in the current update.1 candidate; there's some disagreement
about it.

Considering the current state of our 'dense mesh' work, I would
strongly encourage that all of these issues be targetted to
update.1.1, so that we do not delay update.1 for other users any
longer than necessary.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )