[sugar] Using Matplotlib in Measure Activity

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sat Feb 2 02:09:35 EST 2008

At Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:38:01 -0500,
Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 01:32 -0500, Arjun Sarwal wrote:
> > For some time I have been thinking about extending the functionality
> > of Measure Activity into a tool that also allows for graphical
> > analysis of data acquired not just from sensors/mic but data acquired
> > from any source.
> > (1) A standard format for data sets.
> > (2) To allow for a variety of multiple views, representations and
> > basically allowing more control over the way data is represented
>
> What you are describing is precisely the plotter component of any
> standard spreadsheet.  In my experience, plotting data  is by far the
> most common use of spreadsheets by children.  I would welcome such an
> Activity, and indeed, there is an effort to provide a spreadsheet for
> OLPC.
>
> I do not think is makes sense to merge measurement of signals with data
> analysis.  I would suggest that "Measure Signals" and "Process Data"
> should be separate activities, with an easy Keep-Resume path between
> them.

  Really?  What happens if a kid want to see real-time data in
different way(s)?  If there is an oscilloscope that is only able to
show data from 10 seconds ago or such, it would be useless.

  Let us say we write an equivalent thing of Measure in Etoys.  Then,
kids can make their own graphing tool interactively.

-- Yoshiki