[sugar] Sugar Labs introduction

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:19:39 EST 2008

>> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Yamandu Ploskonka <yamaplos at bolinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> One thing that we need to see is about giving legitimacy to volunteers in
>>> countries where only if you have an "official" piece of paper you are to be
>>> taken into account.  Right now I have an active, enthusiastic, capable
>>> volunteer in Uruguay who is not taken into account by higher authorities
>>> because he basically is "nobody".

It is not necessary to be official to do good work. I am helping two
students at Olin College of Engineering to organize a newsletter
around two topics: What is really going on at OLPC? (the hard
question) and How can I join in? (where I have a number of ideas to
share, and others have many more). We know that we can use any set of
skills and knowledge to do something that the children need, since
they need to know about absolutely everything. So we can get anybody
started on real work, connect them with the community, and so on.

Those who want to become "official" within their country in order to
work with other official groups should contact Earth Treasury (me) and
Open Learning Exchange at http://ole.org/. We can work out a plan for
a group of volunteers to do anything useful as part of a larger
project to get XOs into schools, create teacher training materials and
textbooks in local languages, and so on.

>>> A Sugarlabs "credential" or some sort of accreditation?

That, too.

>>> Yama

And Children are my nation.