[sugar] XO identity shared via Browse

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 15:56:06 EST 2008

Hi Tomeu and Browse engineers,

Talking with Martin L recently he mentioned that you have some ideas on
how the XO can communicate its identity (e.g. serial # and maybe user
name) with a web server. We're mostly thinking of the school server as
the server side but a more generic solution may be acceptable.

The main idea is to eliminate the need for students to ever type in a
user name and password. e.g. they should be able to just hit the Backup
and Restore URL and see their files without having to login or find
their serial number in a list.

That's one example. I would also like any Web server to be able to
extract the XO identity and use it in CGI (e.g. PHP) for processing.

It should also be encrypted so that the XO cannot be spoofed. e.g. only
the XO which backed up and can see or restore its own files (possibly
with an admin override).

I put a stub of a requirement for it on our roadmap here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Single_Sign_on_from_Browse

Do you have any ideas or designs for how we can achieve that?

Comments and questions welcome.

Thanks,

Greg S