[sugar] PlayGo v2 and v3

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 13:01:28 EDT 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 04:17:01 Simon Schampijer wrote:
> Hi Andrés,
>
> thanks for your work!
>
> Ambrois wrote:
> >   I have put up the xo bundle for PlayGo version 3. I didn't announce v2
> > cause it was still lacking some features (like scoring at game end),
> > which it now has.
> >
> >   You can find it here: http://dev.laptop.org/~aa/PlayGo/PlayGo-3.xo
> >
> >   Here are the Release Notes:
> >
> >   v2
> >      New Features:
> >         - Cleaner code
> >         - Save and resume games from Journal
> >         - Added a toolbar with options to set board size & restart the
> > game. - Better collaboration (turn enforcement, notifications) - Pass and
> > Undo in hotseat (not shared) mode.
> >         - Full Spanish translation
> >   v3
> >       New features:
> >         - Integration with GnuGo (play against AI)
> >         - Game end after two consecutive passes
> >         - Scoring under Japanese rules
> >
> >   One thing that is lacking is a proper Icon (current one doesn't
> > correctly change color), hopefully a generous soul will give us a new
> > kick-ass icon for PlayGo! =P
>
> Yeah, maybe eben can have a quick look.
>
> >   I would really appreciate testing on the XO because I don't have one.
>
> Some breakfast notes:
> - when i resume a 9x9 game the tokens are squares no circles resuming
> the other games seem to work fine

  Yes, this bug is fixed in the git. With the recent Journal breakage
(modalalert import error) I couldn't test it much. This bug was also triggered
by #7904.

> - the reset game button maybe eben has an idea here (memorize uses one
> that is game specific, maybe we could have a general one)

  Sure, a common game restart icon should add consistency.

> - is the 'You need to install gnugo...' a conditional message that
> changes or goes away when gnugo is installed?

  Right, it checks wether gnugo is on the PATH at startup and enables or
disables that toggle button. So it should be yum install gnugo and you're
ready to go.

> For the missing xo, maybe you want to apply for one at
> http://projectdb.olpc.at/

  I'm on the DB. However I didn't apply for a project cause 'Developing an
activity and do some general tinkering and hacking' didn't sound like a
project that would get approved :).

> Regards,
>     Simon

  Thanks a lot for testing!