[sugar] Landing patches about the network devices UI

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 09:57:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a couple of patches that should be ready to be reviewed by
> tomorrow, which solves several issues with the UI of network devices.
>
> #6944 UI confuses which AP you are connected to
> #3993 The color of network icon in Home view becomes white after
> restarting Sugar.
> #2866 Network Manager GUI doesn't report success or failure
> #6995 Add a mesh device to the frame and remove mesh devices from
> Neighborhood view
>
> The tickets are a little confusing, so let me summarize what the patches does:
>
> 1 Adds "IP address" to the mesh & wireless palettes, with associated
> changes to their model classes.
> 2 Removes the "Disconnect" or "Turn On/off" entries from the
> wireless/mesh palettes.
> 3 Makes both frame icons pulse.
> 4 Don't show the mesh icons in the mesh view, instead show them in the frame.
> 5 Fix some iconsistency in the icon states by cleaning up the code.
>
> mtd did quite a bit of testing on them already, but they are pretty
> invasive and there is some risk of regressions.
>
> My opinion is:
>
> 2 is controversial and should be left as is for 8.2

It's mainly controversial because they don't do what they say, or what
you'd expect them to, but this can wait.  Maybe we can actually do it
correctly next time around.

> 1, 5 are important and we should try to get them in.

Yup.

> 4 would be nice to have but I don't consider it essential.

Actually, I think this is the most important aspect of the design, and
I strongly suggest we try to land it.  This has been confusing to
many, and when we change it I think we need to commit to going the
whole way, instead of leaving it in limbo which will only confuse
people more down the road.

> 3 should be delayed unless it's small and it's easier to take it then
> to refactor patches.

OK.

- Eben