[sugar] Please help test our new 8.2.0 weekly beta, joyride-2301!

S Page info at skierpage.com
Fri Aug 15 04:49:45 EDT 2008

Michael Stone wrote:
> We are thrilled to announce a new test build, joyride-2301, valid until
> Wednesday, August 20.

Updating from joyride-2273 basically went fine.  I have a general
testing question below.

`sudo olpc-update joyride-2301` in Terminal Activity got a MemoryError
in irsync_dirty update (maybe this is http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5954
), but it continued and rsync update completed OK.

I rebooted from the XO menu in Home view.  The last message on screen
was in a console error, something like "error 15 from xinit".  But 10
minutes later that was still on screen.  I pressed a few keys and the
screen changed to the safety graphic and the machine restarted.

Upon restart Sugar went straight into the Software update control panel,
but displayed "Could not access the network".  I clicked [try again] and
it worked fine, offering me updates.

The Firefox icon in Software update and Home view is mysterious ;-)

> Our specific interest this week has changed; this week, we'd love to
> know:
>
>    "How many ways can you crash or hang your XO?"

Is there a way to tell *why* an XO crashed or is hung?  Several times on
joyride-2273 the Read activity and JBook on OpenJDK slowed my XO until
the cursor wouldn't track, but it was hard to tell why.  I followed
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Attaching_Sugar_Logs_to_Tickets but I never
saw anything relevant in /home/olpc/.sugar/default/logs.  I guess I
could run `top`, but often I wasn't able to switch to a console.

Thanks,
--
=S Page