[sugar] letting the user specify the mesh channel

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:18:43 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Eduardo Heleno <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/14 Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Eduardo H Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I like a lot the mockup
>> > http://dev.laptop.org/~mdengler/6995/6995_screenshot_45.png ... I would
>> > just
>> > add one more sugestion. Include on the primary palette as a secondary
>> > title
>> > the word "Connected". You may think that the coloring of the mesh icon
>> > makes
>> > it clear it is connected, but i think it is important to be plan ahead
>> > for
>> > all potential users of Sugar, like those who are blind (use some kind of
>> > text-to-speech interface), color-blind, or even just poor eye-sighted
>> > people.
>>
>> Good points.  We could add, at a minimum, the "Connecting...",
>> "Connected", and "Disconnecting..." states as the secondary text in
>> the palette. Is this clearer, or should we use "Starting...", "On",
>> and "Stopping" instead?  If we use the former, should we change "Turn
>> on" and "Turn off"?
>
> I think the terminology should remain
> "Connecting...","Connected","Disconnecting...", and the actions be "Connect"
> and "Disconnect". Let's not underestimate kids and their inteligence of
> discernment between turning something on, and making a connection between 2
> point.

Actually, this is the very reason that the designs had "Turn on"/"Turn
off" instead.  Unlike an AP, to which a direct association is made,
the mesh simply enables a protocol of discovery, rather than
initiating any direct connection(s).  You can have the mesh turned on
and have no connection to anyone or anything at all, if no one is in
range. Hence, "connected" could actually be misleading.

I was actually considering keeping the terminology consistent just to
keep things "simple", instead of alluding to the subtler differences
between the Mesh and AP devices. I'm still open to argument either
way.

> In the future, one should think how this info will work with the
> notification system?

Yes, they will certainly be accounted for; Mesh, AP, battery, and
other devices are a large impetus for the notification system in the
first place.

- Eben