[sugar] New joyride build 2258 (Eben Eliason)

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 12:39:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> +1 on not reaching out over the network or doing anything without user
> input.
>
> I'm also nervous about the software update icon in the control panel
> going out over the network and doing something immediately after you
> click and before you do anything else with the Update interface. Is
> there any precedent or guidelines on what happens first after you choose
> a Sugar Control Panel option?

These are usually implemented in 1 of 2 ways.  It may be implemented
as a menu item titled "Check for updates" or similar, which makes the
desire to actually initiate the action implicit in selecting it. It
can also be implemented as a control panel module, in which case
there's usually a "Check now" button, in addition to information such
as the time/date of the last successful update, and options to set up
automatic update checks.

In our case, we do offer a "Cancel" button, which would prevent this
update scenario from taking over the system/bandwidth completely.
However, a "Check now" button would also work just fine.

- Eben