[sugar] Faster - how do I bypass "look, ma - no hands" ??

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:11:46 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> Tried latest Faster -- is the small 'rodent' supposed to be cute ?

??

> Encountered at least two hurdles.  Would someone please answer for me:
>
>  1)  The control panel let me get into xfce.  But HOW is one
>      supposed to get back from xfce to Sugar?  I did not see
>      anything like a 'Control panel' available within xfce.

I couldn't say, but I'm curious.  I know there is experimentation
going on there, but I'm not aware of a final design choice.

>      What I did was to rename .xsession-xfce.  Is there a GUI ?
>
>  2)  After the build install, I was *automatically* put by Sugar
>      into 'Control Panel -> Software update'.  Only one difficulty
>      - I do not have wireless, and even ethernet works for me only
>      after I have customized the environmental variables.

Auto-starting any activity or control panel is also against the design
intent.  I really don't want this to happen.  If we think it's
absolutely necessary to push G1G1s into an update, then we should have
an alert (non-modal, perhaps) that appears on first boot instead,
which offers to take them directly into software update.  Failing to
present the Home screen (and a new one, at that) as Home is a bad
idea.

- Eben