[sugar] perceived sugar performance

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Apr 29 13:44:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 07:26:12PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> We cannot presume that _all_ activities will be able to put a window
> in 0.1-0.5s,

I think we are better served by presuming that activities which fail to
start quickly are broken need to be fixed. For goodness' sake, we have a
processor clocked at over 400 MHz that can play full-screen video. Does
someone here actually wish to argue that it's acceptable for process
creation, X connection setup, window creation, and painting to take long
enough to require secondary feedback mechanisms?

Regards,

Michael