[sugar] jumpy cursor problem and sugar issue

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Sun Apr 27 09:39:25 EDT 2008

Bryan,

Similar issues were dominant at the India pilot too...

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Day 3 of the pilots at Bishwamitra and Bashuki and couple of issues have
>  come up
>
>  1. We are having a lot of trouble w/ jumpy cursors. You know where the
>  touchpad behaves erratically. Is there an easy fix to this problem?
>
>  we are using build 703, MP machines, and firmware Q2d14. We have the
>  kids hold down the 4 corner buttons as recommended in the XO user guide
>  but that doesn't seem to consistently fix the problem.

I thought there was a fix in Update.1 for the jumpy mouse bug ?

Other than that, we had observed that the touchpad behaved differently
because many kids chose to use a larger/smaller area of their fingers.
Since this is a capacitive touchpad, perhaps that has got something to
do with the amount of finger area in contact, or the amount of
pressure that one puts (some kids chose to press harder and harder on
the touchpad when they couldn't seem to get the cursor under control)
?

>  Dust is an issue at the schools but that can't explain the high rate of
>  jumpy cursors. Please assist

We didn't find any direct relation with dust as such. Humidity, and
sweaty fingers, though, did seem to make things consistently
difficult.

>  Suggestions?
>
>  2. For future reference: In general the kids and teachers find it quite
>  confusing when they move the cursor to the corners of the screen and the
>  Sugar frame pops up. The kids have learned the top row keys very quickly
>  - faster than I thought - and they find the frame popping up quite
>  confusing. They have learned to use the frame button already.
>
>  pictures to come and a full write-up, I promise!

Looking forward!

Good luck.
Arjun