[sugar] what matters

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 09:36:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Albert Cahalan wrote:
>  > It's clear that we aren't all here for the same thing.
>  > Some wish to help all kids, or poor kids, or non-Western
>  > kids. Some wish to advance freedom of speech, freedom from
>  > EULA slavery, or freedom to learn heretical ideas.
>  >
>  > Some of us are, assuming good intentions, extremely innocent
>  > regarding Microsoft. The historical record shows that those
>  > who partner with Microsoft will be betrayed in the worst way.
>  > Read "The Scorpion and the Frog" to understand Microsoft.

He who sups with the Devil must e'en have a long spoon.

>  > To a very limited extent, I agree with the idea that we should
>  > not be pedantic about free software.

The community seems to be agreed that Microsoft can spend as much
money as it likes trying to get Sugar running on Windows, but OLPC
shouldn't divert resources from Linux to Windows unless perhaps
Microsoft chooses to pay whoever is willing, and fund the project more
broadly. As if!

>  For what its worth, here's something that might help in analyzing the
>  situation some more. Its an analytical approach called "mission and core
>  competencies (MCC) matrix".

Thanks. I don't think that we have such a complex problem. The
questions appear to be

* Should we sell in developed countries? Nicholas--Doesn't contribute
to mission; me--Of course, to build a political base for foreign
educational aid, to address our own poor, and to finance our other
work.

* Should we ally with Microsoft? Nicholas--It's such a brilliant
strategy, and so obvious when I point it out; me--no way.

* Should Nicholas discuss these matters with the community?
Nicholas--What for?; me--Yes, unless you want to see the rest of us
walk out and fork Sugar.

Anyway, nothing happens unless Nicholas decides to talk the the whole
community. Then we can discuss the other two points. It isn't a
question of who has which competencies, except for Nicholas to realize
that he can't outsmart Microsoft, and that he has tried to
over-optimize one variable out of an entire equation. And we should
hire more programmers, a doc team, and a few others that Nicholas and
the community generally agree on, and discuss what to do after that.
Then maybe Walter and Ivan and a few other valuable contributors would
be willing to discuss coming back.
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/