[sugar] Ad-hoc Networking

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Apr 23 21:48:26 EDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, John Watlington wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

>> MPP support is in place, but it does not play well with the School
>> Server
>> (and possibly DHCP), so it has been disabled.  MAP support has not
>> been a
>> high priority, and I do not know anything about its current status.
>
> The laptop as an MPP is an interesting idea, but the problem is the
> havoc
> it can wreck when a number of XOs are together in a school.
>
> Satellite Internet <-> XS <-> 802.11b AP <-> XO
> can support around 50 laptops per channel.
> But all it takes is one kid running in MPP mode near the AP
> to eat up the spectrum with mesh routing packets.   This is
> why it no longer enters MPP mode by default when connected
> to an AP.
>
>> I would certainly love if the XOs and Active Antennas could be made
>> to run
>> in MPP and MAP mode.  I do not know to what degree the Marvell
>> device is
>> capable of this
>
> The hardware is capable of being both.  We are working with Cozybit
> to get soft AP code for the hardware that will support both.

while there are scenerios where it won't work, there are others where it
will work very well (in some cases it's the same equipment, but after
school lets out and the kids head home) please consider making the
capability available when you can, and then it can become another tool
that can be enabled or disabled as appropriate.

David Lang