[sugar] Where is Walter?

J.M. Maurer uwog at uwog.net
Wed Apr 23 12:14:21 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 08:05 -0700, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 04:31:30PM +0200, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 14:05 +0200, Bobby Powers wrote:
> > > Maybe we could take a break from
> > > talking about the sky falling until we hear something from Negroponte
> > > or someone else at 1CC regarding Windows?
> >
> > A clear statement on the direction of the project would be a first in
> > the 1.5 years I'm involved with OLPC. I don't count on it anymore.
>
> If you can't see the obvious, that OLPC has invested and continues to
> invest engineering talent in Sugar and related technologies, then I
> can't imagine what kind of statement would reassure you.
>
> Until there is clear evidence to the contrary (not just rumors and wild
> speculation), I think we can and should assume that OLPC continues to
> march towards free software constructivist learning.

Assuming/hoping that OLPC is following the aforementioned direction does
not really help motivating unpaid volunteers (on which OLPC depends
heavily!).

If the recent media attention about a possible focus change (and for
some the speculation around Ivan's and Walter's leave) did not happen,
then I'd agree with you. But it did happen, so now people want to be
reassured that their *very precious spare time* will not be wasted.

Cheers,
  Marc