[sugar] Where is Walter?

Bobby Powers bobbypowers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 08:05:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:13 PM, <msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> This lack of transperency is *exactly* the sort of behaviour that kills
> free software and other volunteer projects. People are not going to donate
> their own precious time to a project that may ultimately shaft them.
>
> The community that OLPC has built up is global, outstanding  and committed
> on many, many levels. It would be almost impossible to find the people,
> let alone the money, to do what has been delivered by the community
> already, let alone what could be delivered in the future.
>
> You can't buy this community. You can only create it with an inspiring
> vision and outstanding people living the vision. It is not the least bit
> inspiring to be the spearhead of the latest MS and DELL sales pitch.
>
> Management would do everyone a grand favour by sticking with the original
> vision come what may because they have no hope without the community.
>
> Martin Sevior

I'm new around here, but it seems like this whole conversation is based on a
bunch of what-ifs surrounding that AP article.  People generally seem on the
same page that switching to Windows and non-free software would be a Bad
Thing.  Maybe we could take a break from talking about the sky falling until
we hear something from Negroponte or someone else at 1CC regarding Windows?

Just my 2¢.

yours,
Bobby Powers