[sugar] Document sharing issues

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Apr 21 12:11:39 EDT 2008

Hi James,

   > 3). Because downloading documents is so slow, I have modified my
   > Read toolbar to have a running count of bytes downloaded so the
   > user doesn't have to stare at an unchanging screen for several
   > minutes wondering if anything is going on.  In the core Read code I
   > modified to do this there is a comment that it would be good to
   > signal the file size of the file being sent, so the user could see
   > a progress bar.  The author never got around to doing that, so I
   > don't know how to do that either.  How would I go about it?

You should be able to pull it out of the underlying GlibURLDownloader
(getter) headers from inside _download_progress_cb(), like so:

   size = getter._info.headers["Content-Length"]

But, what we should really do is provide an accessor in sugar/network.py.
The advantage of the above is that, even though it's groveling inside
the downloader internals, it won't require introducing a new API
dependency between activities and sugar.  Sugar gang, any thoughts?

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>