[sugar] GOSC Mesh Visualization Mock-ups

Justin Tanner justinwtanner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 01:28:29 EDT 2008

Hey Sugar List and GOSC List!

This is Justin Tanner, I'm working on a proposal for the Google
summer of code, to create different mesh network visualization
schemes, here are some mock-ups I've created to brainstorm some ideas.

This first visualization is called "Linear Jump Frog". I thought it
would be interesting to ranks all users according to they signal strength.

http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/line1.svg

Then I thought it would be fun, to have the different users hop over
each other as their signal strength increases.

http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/line1.html

This next visualization is called "Planet Activity". The goal was to
create a mesh visualization similar tot the OLPC neighborhood, but
with space-like theme.

http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/planet1.svg

In this picture, the planets represent activities, the more popular
the activity, the bigger the planet. If a user has not joined a group
activity, he/she sits on an asteroid.

This visualization is called "Bump Line". Similar to "Linear
Jump", this visualization shows the level of connected-ness by the
size of the bump the users icon sits on.

http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/bumpline1.svg

As the users more around closer or further away, each users bump,
increases or decreases in real-time.

This next visualization is called "Ski Jump". Pretty simple idea, all
users connected on the mesh queue up and take turns going down the ski
jump. The users signal strength will determine the jump height.

http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/ski1.svg

As you can see on the left the users mark their jump height after
every jump.

http://www.jwtanner.com/images/svg/ski1.html

In this animation, a user has increased his signal strength and moved
up the height rankings.

Lemme know what you think, Justin.