[sugar] Usability testing

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Sun Apr 13 13:32:44 EDT 2008

I'm going to take a flier here...

I live in Guatemala and could try to organize a rural test site here. More
usability data would be the least of the outcomes.

This is obviously not a simple task. Looking at the "give many" numbers
(>100 XOs @ $299; >1000 @ $249; >10,000 @ $199) these numbers are over my
horizon. I know that if I go to local rotary clubs and other such
small-scale funding sources, it will be more than 3 times easier to get
arount $10,000 (50 laptops @ $199 each) than $30,000 (100 laptops @ $299).
Is there any way those "give many" numbers could have 3rd world
pricing/volumes? (On the other hand, I also plan to try to get XOs adopted
by a wealthy private school here; for them, current prices would be fine and
the issue is speedy delivery. You'd have to define "3rd world" not just by
country but by target population.)

I understand that devel and sugar may not be the right places to ask this
question, but I don't really know where the right place is.

Jameson