[sugar] Wordsmith ( Scrabble ) :GSoC application

Charles Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 15:01:36 EDT 2008

Hi Aditya,

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Aditya Vishwakarma <
adi.vishwakarma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for allowing me to use your source code.

It is released under the GPL, but you are welcome just the same....

> I am currently browsing the source code. and it would be great help if you
> can give me a small overview of the source.

I would suggest the following for starters:
1. Establish if it can run out-of-the-box on the XO, as is.

2. For a slightly simpler version, there is also an ascii version that I
wrote for a deaf-blind school.  This is essentially TuxWordSmith without
PyGame or wxWidgets to complicate things.  Thus, to understand the
algorithms it would be most simple to study TWS-ASCII (
http://www.asymptopia.org).  Note that it only plays in English, but that is
easily changed by wrapping unicode characters in an ord() function.  (small
detail)...

The code has been under continuous development for several years, now, but,
unfortunately, not the documentation.  The only docs i've got are fairly
out-of-date.  I believe University of Queensland, AU, has an old copy of
tuxwordsmith.pdf on their website, somewhere... can't find link offhand,
though.

-charles

Aditya

--
AsymptopiaSoftware | Software at theLimit
www.asymptopia.org