[sugar] project idea - any takers?

Polychronis Ypodimatopoulos ypod at mit.edu
Mon Apr 7 23:52:42 EDT 2008

I admit this kind of (very) late, but here is a project idea that I
would love to mentor:

Depending on your coding skills you could write a small activity to
abstract the process of writing simple network applications that involve
various hardware parts of the laptop (sound card, camera, microphone,
network card). This activity would allow children to synthesize simple
network programs like "when my laptop hears a sound, send an email to my
friend X", "if you receive a message (packet) from this friend, take a
picture and send it to my other friend Y".... For example a child may
"write" small program using your activity to detect a sound and when it
does, it will take a picture and send it somewhere over email (a nifty
little monitoring system).

Children should be able to put together simple programs like that in "a
la etoys", by drag-n-drop of icons on screen and setting their
properties, making loops and so on.

Any takers?

Pol

--