[sugar] Update.1 RC3: candidate-703 Published!

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 1 06:19:09 EDT 2008

On 01.04.2008, at 02:40, Stefan Reitz wrote:

> > > Run it as user olpc instead of root.
> >
> > That, or
> >
> > chmod +x update-activities.py
> > ./update-activities.py
> >
> > Looks like my user-switching hack does not work when run as "python
> > update-activities.py".
> >
> > - Bert -
>
> Since my system came back with no activities (and a new bios) the
> only way to do something was ctrl-alt-f2.
> Enter got me logged in as root. As such
> wget dev.laptop.org/~bert/update-activities.py    worked, then did
> chmod +x update-activities.py        and
> ./update-activities.py       same result as before (--> switching to
> user olpc ...
> switching to user olpc didn't help right away since now I couldn't
> see the file (belonging to root and being in root's ~) anymore...
> And I couldn't download it as olpc to its ~ because dev.laptop.org
> couldn't be resolved (as olpc)
> So I turned root again and copied update-activities.py to /home/
> olpc, changed the owner
> chown olpc:olpc update-activities.py         turned root again
> su olpc          Then
> ./update-activities.py worked (If this doesn't work for someone
> else, remember I did the
> chmod +x update-activities.py   early on...)
> ctrl-alt-f3 got my back to the sugar interface
>
> I encountered a bunch of "caution: excluded filename not matched:
> mimetype", but I don't know if this has any consequences.
> The order of the activity Icons has greatly changed - is there a way
> for me to influence their order of appearance?
>
> Thanks for the hints, I couldn't have done without.

Ah. Thanks, I identified the problem: when you download the script to
~root then the user olpc cannot read from that directory. It's better
to download to ~olpc anyway so it survives the next system upgrade. I
will remove the user-switching magic from the script, learned my
lesson ;)

New instructions are:

su - olpc