[sugar] [gcompris-devel] More than 10 Activities Solution?

bruno.coudoin at free.fr bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri May 25 05:37:33 EDT 2007

Selon Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com>:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 09:51:05AM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > Mike Sloman wrote:
> > > I have browsed through the mail lists and the HIG docs but have found no
> > > mention for a scheme to cope with more than 10 Activities in the Actions
> > > section of the frame.
> >
> > All the activities will be accessible from the Journal. Kids will be
> > able to add/remove them from the frame (also the bottom panel of the
> > frame will be "scrollable").
>
> I don't think only scrollable will work so well with GCompris. Currently
> GCompris organizes activities into a tree. There are 8 top-level
> activity categories and lots of activities beneath each category.
>
> As you know, GCompris is being ported to the sugar environment so we
> need to think about a proper solution.

The way I see it, each GCompris activity will provide it's own control bar so
it's not necessary to have it at Sugar level.

To explain it better, Sugar will let you run each individual GCompris activity,
and thus it replaces our internal menu.

Some news on our side, we are moving slowly but surely to an architecture that
suits the Sugar environment. Our latest trunk no more use SDL_Mixer but use
gstreamer instead for the audio backend and we integrated the gnomecanvas as a
static library to remove the dependancy burden.

We have created a gcomprixo branch in our svn to continue the modification
towards a Sugar friendly GCompris. Yesterday, we integrated the Sven's libccc
canvas library based on cairo. We plan to use it to move to the cairo path.

Bruno.