[sugar] First impressions of a B4 machine

Philip Macpherson philipmac1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 02:28:33 EDT 2007

I'm not qualified to answer your points so I'll just say a few things.
First that was a great review and brought up many point's which had annoyed
me but had not brought up having only used a earlier build and assuming
they'd being fixed.

Paint, is this the famous Tux Paint?

No it's this program http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Draw  I haven't used the more
recent builds of it, though I can say that as of the version I used.
Tuxpaint, is much more interesting, user friendly and fun.

There are plans to add something based on
> GStreamer, and that's great, but keep in mind the three aspects of
> media: video, audio, and image.  All in one place to make it easy.

I think the gstreamer based thing has been added, as referenced in the news
two days ago; "Dan Williams....wrote a Jukebox activity, a gstreamer-based
media player with Journal integration"

I have looked into Tetris, though.  Tetris?  It was a fun game back
> in, what, the 80's.  I don't think it offers much as educational tools
> go.  I believe a bit of research on what games other educational
> distros (like Edubuntu) are using may be helpful.  Look at GCompris,
> for instance.  Now those are some fun and educational activities for
> kids.  I'm not advocating the removal of Tetris, but it should be
> something to consider to replace it with something better.

Tetris is in the default install of edubuntu ;).  I agree that gcompris is a
great program, but it's also quite large, though in my mind well worth the
space.  The wiki here explains the current work been done with it todo with
the laptops. http://www.gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Todo_for_OLPC  The other
games in a default install of edubuntu are just the default gnome ones along
with tuxmath, and the kde edutainment suite.  Tuxmath is a really addictive
game and for some reason children seem to want to use it just as much as
tuxpaint.  (Though I'm not sure how well it fits in with the laptops
constructionist principles.)  Similar to gcompris is childsplay
http://childsplay.sourceforge.net/.  It's alot smaller than gcompris though
not as fun or comprehensive. (I thought I saw a version they were making
specifically for the laptops somewhere)  The kde programs are all noteworthy
though kalzium is exceptional good though maybe not suited for younger
children

Sorry if I'm interrupting,
Philip