[sugar] binary file in tamtam.git

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 02:22:22 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin at pobox.com> wrote:
> What about abiword? Should all the binary *.o files be stored in GIT as
> well? I urge you to rethink your compilation strategy. Binary files have
> no business being in GIT. You are just wasting the disk space of
> everybody who clones your repository. If you want to keep precompiled
> binaries somewhere (similar to the squeak/etoys image) then please keep
> them outside of GIT. Anywhere wget accessible is fine. Abiword already
> requires a C compiler so anybody using jhbuild will not have any
> difficulty recreating your *.so files.

I just had a chat with Nat about this issue. Apparently the method
currently used for working on TamTam is to jump on an XO, clone the
git tree, and start hacking. This is why the so file is there.

You suggest being able to get the correct .so file off a server, that
sounds feasable. Is there a way of making git do this when it knows
it's being cloned onto a system that's an XO? Or possibly TamTam could
download it when it first runs and it notices it is missing...

Until a decent solution that doesn't interrupt the development
processes of the TamTam team can be implemented, I don't see a 250kb
.so file being kept under version control as being an issue.

--
Stephen Thorne

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to sit and I will move the world."
  --Jonathan Lange