[sugar] Status of Speex?

Takashi Yamamiya tak at metatoys.org
Thu Apr 5 08:05:57 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have a question about Speex http://www.speex.org/ on OLPC. I added a
feature about sound compressing in etoys activity. We are going to use
it for interactive voice tutorial contents for etoys. I chose Speex
as the codec because it seems to be the most efficient for human
voice, and the OLPC os image includes Speex already. But Bert
suggested me that we were not sure if we could depend on it.

So my question is that Speex library on the OLPC is just by accident,
or intentional? Can I assume Speex is available on the OLPC? I think
including Speex is also good for other activity like voice chat.

Regards,
- Takashi