[sugar] rsync directory?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 2 11:12:12 EDT 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 12:59 , Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 10:53 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> The Trial1 file based system is documented here:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trial1_Software
>>>
>>> We have no journal so the files kids open and save are placed in the
>>> home directory and backed up on the school server.
>>>
>>> Let's be careful about cluttering the home directory since the user
>>> interface (a file picker for most activities) does not really
>>> scale a
>>> lot.
>>
>> Well, that page is not really specific. It just says the web browser
>> will be used to load content. Fine, I added the ability to launch
>> etoys projects directly from the web activity. But where do I need to
>> put user-created files so that they show up in the web browser?
>
> /home/olpc or ~ more generically. This directory will be backed up on
> the server and accessed through the web browser by the kids.

>> subdirectory named "MyEtoys" of the home directory maybe?
>
> In principle the home directory I think, unless there are good reasons
> to use a subdir.

Okay, I just published an updated etoys package that uses ~ as its
content directory.

However, I'd very much prefer a subdirectory. This directory is used
as VM-level sandbox for all etoys, so any harm is restricted to that
directory. The whole home directory is a rather large sandbox IMHO.

>>  Is there a way to test this? I can easily setup
>> an rsync server here, but what server software will be running?
>
> Not sure. I think wad is leading the school server effort, ccing him.

So, wad: will a subdirectory of the home be backed up, and be
accessible through the web UI? Or just files in the home dir itself?

- Bert -