[sugar] eBook ideas

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 08:42:56 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 21:24 -0700, Don Hopkins wrote:
> I'm going to be adding some Internet Archive library browsing, searching
> and ebook downloading functionality, using RSS feeds.
> Since search results are returned as RSS: Do you think I should I try to
> use penguintv to browse RSS feeds of book search results? Run it as a
> separate activity that switches back to the ebook reader when you click
> on a link to a pdf file? Or would it be easier (and better integrated)
> to embed the rss reader in the ebook interface? Is there a way to
> register the ebook reader activity as the handler of the pdf content
> type, so both the web browser and rss reader will switch to it to read
> PDF files?

[ Adding Eben and sj, since I'd like to have their opinion ]

I think the best place to integrate access to the Archive library is
probably the OLPC library. Right now it's just the home page of the web
browser activity but later it might become a separate activity.

Clicking on a pdf there would be opened by the default pdf handler,
which will normally be the Read activity. (Right now mime handling is
hardcoded in sugar but later we will have a way for activities to
register themself as handlers for certain object types).

Can search/browsing be implemented inside the web browser? That would
probably be the easier approach...

Marco