[Sri-lanka] how to obtain OLPCs for Sri Lanka Girls School

Ann Kato Ann.Kato at unige.ch
Tue Mar 10 03:02:34 EDT 2009

Dear Sir/Madame,

My husband and I sponsoring the Sri Sumangala Girls’ School in Weligama
on the southern coast of Sri Lanka. The school, with 2700 students from
grades 3 to 13, was severely damaged during the tsunami. Thirteen of the
girls died and over half of the girls lost close members of their
families including parents, brothers and sisters.

We have been aiding the school by providing books, writing material,
computers and offering prizes for the best students in each class. We
visited the school in 2005 and again in 2008 to develop a closer contact
with the students and staff and to have a better understanding of their
needs. The girls dream of being doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers and
engineers. They are very motivated, curious and eager to advance their
education.

To sustain our program, we have been seeking financial assistance in the
way of donations. Our primary goal is to provide computers to this
school. They have at present approximately 15 out-dated computers and
they do not have a laptop in the school. Recently a friend of ours
purchased an OLPC on e-bay in the United States and we realize how
revolutionary this type of computer could be for this devastated school.

We are writing to inquire how we can purchase 10 to 20 OLPComputers so
that we can start to equip the Sri Sumangala Girls’ school.

I would like to thank you in advance for your consideration of my request.

Ann C. Kato
Professor, Dept. of Neuroscience
Faculty of Medicine
University of Geneva, Switzerland