[Server-devel] Booting from a big USB stick

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Mar 19 21:56:39 EDT 2019

Hi, Adam

As you know this is an area where we agree to disagree. Currently the
schoolserver's valid, useful content exceeds 500GB. I really do not want
to get into the game of deciding what is worthwhile and what is not. It
is clear that the planned expansion of OSM will require increased
capacity. If local content is seriously supported, the amount will
increase even further. At one time OLPC estimated storage of the Journal
would take 2GB per XO. A typical Rwanda school has 200 XOs potentially
requiring 400GB of additional space.

My dream is an RPi3 based schoolserver with a 1TB (or 2TB) external
hard-drive at under $150 (about 1/3 of NUC-based server).

Tony